02 03 Sweet Mornings: Nut Pop Cake With or Without Nuts 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 32 33

Nut Pop Cake With or Without Nuts

34

Today my daughter asked me for a dessert.  Not cookies, or muffins, or donuts.  She wanted a REAL dessert, preferably something cakey.  I am not really a fan of cake, I much prefer a cookie, so I had to think of what cake would be relatively quick and easy to make and didn’t have a heavy icing.  The perfect solution, Nut Pop Cake.



Nut Pop Cake is a recipe my mother-in-law gave me when we were first married.  It is a cake my husband really enjoys and many years is his birthday cake.  I really do not know why the cake is called a Nut Pop Cake.  The cake is a hot milk sponge with a quick brown sugar glaze/topping that nuts are supposed to be dropped on.  My daughters are not big fans of nuts so over the years more often than not I would leave nuts off part or even all of the cake.  Today, I had no nuts in the house so it is a Nutless Nut Pop Cake.  The cake is just the right mix of lightness and sweetness.  Perfect for a light dessert.



Nut Pop Cake with or without nuts
recipe from Diane Markley

Printer Friendly Recipe

2 Tbsp. butter
½ cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping:
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp milk
nuts (walnuts or nuts of your choice.....I seldom use the nuts)

Cake:

Preheat oven to 350.
Spray a 8x8 pan with cooking spray.

In a small saucepan bring milk and butter to a boil.

Meanwhile, in the bowl of a mixer beat the eggs.
Add sugar and mix well.
Add flour and baking powder and mix.

After the milk and butter has come to a boil add it to the egg mixture.
Add vanilla extract.
Mix.
Pour into a prepared pan.

Bake about 20 minutes.

Topping:
While cake is baking combine brown sugar, butter, and milk in a small saucepan.
Cook over low heat, stirring about 10 minutes or until mixture is thick.
Pour over warm cake.
If you choose to sprinkle nuts over the top.

NOTE: Recipe may be doubled to make a 9x13 cake.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38