02 03 Sweet Mornings: Meatless Mondays - Veggie Pasta Bake 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 32 33

Meatless Mondays - Veggie Pasta Bake

34

Welcome to Meatless Monday.  The day I try to con (wait I mean convince) my husband that a meatless meal is yummy and satisfying.  He never likes a meal without meat, he doesn’t think it fills him up enough and usually whines and complains when I try to sneak one in.  So the fact that he actually agreed to try Meatless Mondays is astounding!!!  I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I emphasized how healthy it is and I picked a moment when he was feeling that his jeans were to tight.  Whatever the reason I am on a mission to try to make Monday meals that he enjoys.

Tonight I took an old favorite that is usually made with pepperoni and tweaked it.  Instead of a jar of spaghetti sauce I used a can of tomatoes and snuck in carrots to add some more veggies to the meal.  Round it out with a salad (it is unbelievable but we are still picking lettuce from our garden) and some bread and even he can’t complain (well not too much).  Next time I am going to puree the sauce to disguise the veggies even more (my almost grown daughter still prefers her veggies disguised).  But all in all a good start to Meatles Mondays.


Veggie Pasta Bake

Printer Friendly Recipe

1 small onion, diced
2-3 carrots, diced
garlic (use amount that suits your taste)
1 large can of diced or crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 box of pasta (penne, rotini, or shape of your choice)
1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375.
In a saucepan saute onion and carrots in a bit of olive oil until softened, about 10 minutes
Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
Pour in tomatoes and allow to cook about 5-10 minutes. (At this point you can puree mixture for a smoother texture)
Meanwhile prepare pasta according to directions.
Drain pasta.

In a casserole pan combine pasta and tomato mixture with about 1 cup of cheese. If the mixture looks dry add can of tomato sauce.
Top with more mozzarella cheese.
Bake covered 30-45 minutes until cheese is melted.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38