02 03 Sweet Mornings: Easy Sweet Potato 'Gratin' 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 32 33

Easy Sweet Potato 'Gratin'

34
I have a sweet potato problem.  Well it's not really a problem because I like sweet potatoes but it is a situation.  Ok, we will start again....I have a sweet potato situation.  You see I went to the Farmer's Market in Raleigh (it's open year round and you really can find LOTS of interesting stuff there) and it was a beautiful day, nice and warm and feeling like spring (it was just before Christmas) and well there is just something about the Farmer's Market and all those fruits and vegetables that leads me to make questionable choices.  Well, I made one of those questionable choices, I bought 25 pounds of sweet potatoes .... for the second time in a few months.  They were just so pretty....don't they look pretty?



The good news is sweet potatoes are good for you AND my family actually likes them, a lot.   The bad news is I have to find LOTS of ways to use sweet potatoes.    I've made baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries (love them, hate cutting the potatoes), sweet potato biscuits (so yummy, I will post it soon), aweet potato soup (next week's Meatless Monday post), and this recipe, Easy Sweet Potato 'Gratin'. 




This recipe is easy to make.  It is just sweet potatoes, onion, milk, and cheese.  The milk is low fat and you use very little. You can also adjust the amount and type of cheese to suit your taste.  Just remember that the thinner you slice the potatoes the faster it cooks.  My family inhales this and the pan is usually scraped clean.  Enjoy this healthy side dish and  have a Sweet Morning.


Do you have any good sweet potato recipes to help with my situation?



Easy Sweet Potato ‘Gratin’

Printer Friendly Recipe


2 medium sweet potatoes
1 medium onion
¼ cup milk
½ cup cheddar cheese
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 400.

Peel and slice sweet potatoes into uniform slices. The thinner you slice the potatoes the quicker they will cook.
Slice onion into thin slices.

Spray a casserole pan.
Layer sweet potatoes and onions.
Salt and pepper to taste
Pour milk over the top.
Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake 30-45 minutes, until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender.

Makes 4 servings

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38