02 03 Sweet Mornings: Baked Chocolate Chip Donuts 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 32 33

Baked Chocolate Chip Donuts

34

Doughnuts or do you prefer donuts?  Why are there words that have multiple spellings?  I am never sure which one to use and will write one and then go back and switch and spend time trying to decide which one to use….I am not going to do waste time on that today, not when I have these fabulous donuts to share. 


I have a thing for ‘specialty’ pans, you know the ones, fancy loaf pans, heart shaped muffin tins, fancy bundt pans, the ones that you are so excited about and have to have and then you use once and put them in a ‘safe place’ and forget about.  I have lots and lots of those pans.  



When I saw donut pans I tried to contain myself and had a stern talk with myself (“Chris you DO NOT need donut pans! You have too much stuff and they will only add to the clutter. You DO NOT need to make donuts, you are trying to eat healthy. Chris, are you listening? Chris, you DO NOT NEED THEM”). I didn’t listen. Instead I put them on my Christmas list. My daughter (and her boyfriend) thought it was a great idea, they NEED donuts for breakfast! So I got the pans and people begging for donuts.




So I have made donuts.  But I couldn’t just make the recipe that came on the pan; it didn’t include chocolate chips, so I changed it.  Plus I am trying to be healthy so I changed it again and added yogurt.  Oh and the daughters didn’t like the glaze/frosting, so I changed it, twice.  What I ended up with is a chocolate chip donut with a topping that is somewhere between a frosting and a glaze.  They are just what I was going for, just the right amount of chocolate so as not to overpower you at breakfast but enough to satisfy your chocolate craving.



The batter can be mixed up the night before and refrigerated until morning (you really didn’t think I am awake enough to mix up batter in the morning on a week day did you?).  Pull the batter out when you are preheating the oven and you can have hot donuts before you leave the house.  The only thing you need to do is mix the frosting/glaze and that’s quick and easy.  Enjoy and have a sweet morning!



Baked Chocolate Chip Donuts
adapted from Wilton

Printer Friendly Recipe


2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs

¾ cup low fat plain yogurt (I used Stoneyfield Farm Organic)
¼ cup lowfat milk (I used 1%)
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup mini chocolate chips
Chocolate glaze frosting


Preheat oven to 375.
Spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray.

Mix together all dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar.
Combine wet ingredients: melted butter, eggs, yogurt, milk, vanilla.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix.
Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon or pipe batter into pan.
Bake for 7-9 minutes.

Remove from pan and let cool a few minutes on wire rack.
Top with chocolate glaze frosting.

Makes 12 doughnuts

Chocolate Glaze Frosting
¾ cup chocolate chips

1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp water
¼ cup confectioner sugar

Melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave for about 1 minute.
Stir until smooth adding a small amount of water.
Add confectioner sugar and more water until it is desired consistency.






Linked to:  Weekend Show Off Party  , Foodie Friday , Friday Favorites , Making Monday Marvelous, Market Yourself Monday, Crazy Sweet Tuesdays
I'm topsy turvy tuesdaysIt's a KeeperPhotobucket

                Cast Party Wednesday   


















Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38