02 03 Sweet Mornings: Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 32 33

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

34

This morning I was thinking about all of the cookies we used to make for the holidays when I was growing up.  I can conjure up the taste of my favorites, the ones my grandmother used to make that no one has stepped up and taken ownership of.  Do you have that in your family?  A dish that is the official territory of 1 family member and no one else can make quite right.  In my family we have those dishes, usually desserts.   Well someone has to start making them (ok to be honest my sister makes some of them but she lives in Washington state and I live in North Carolina so it’s like no one makes them) before they are lost so this is it, this is the year I am going to attempt some of the cookies of my childhood.

The first cookie is one my mom made and I actually make it every December.  In fact I make it multiple times every December because my family inhales the pan of cookies almost as quick as I make them.  It’s a favorite combination, peanut butter and chocolate chips.  As I was mixing them today the scent of peanut butter wafted up from the mixer and made me smile.  Christmas carols were playing, there was peanut butter in the air and then I added the chocolate chips….perfection!!!  Hope your family enjoys them too!



Oh, one other family tradition, the cookie tray.  Every Christmas Eve we put out a tray full of the cookies we made in December.  Everyone’s favorites are included and we keep it full until New Years Day or the cookies run out, whichever comes first.  So this December I am going to fill my cookie tray 1 type of cookie at a time so when it is time to fill the actual tray I will have so many typs of cookies in the freezer that the cookies will continue into January.

Ok, so the tray looks empty and lonely but in the next 3 weeks it will fill up with different types of yummy cookies.



Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Printer Friendly Recipe


½ cup shortening
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp water
1 ¼ cups flour
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
12 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375
Grease a 13x9x2 pan
Mix shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
Add egg and water.
Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
Stir in half of the chocolate chips.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until it is golden brown.
Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.





Cover with a baking pan to trap the heat.
When the chips have melted, spread evenly over the top.  Cut into bars when cooled.
Makes 24 bars

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38