Today is my birthday (really you don’t need to know how old….lets
just say I am old enough to have a daughter in college & another that’s a
senior in high school) and my youngest made my cake.She really had no choice in the matter, I told
her she was making it and handed her the recipe.She learned how to beat eggs whites to stiff
peaks and how to fold them into batter.I got to enjoy someone else baking and most importantly cleaning up the
and the cake too!!
The cake is luscious!!!! Rich and chocolatey and oh so
decadent that a small piece is all that is necessary (and for me to say a small
piece is all that is necessary it has to be rich)!!The recipe has been in the family for years,
it used to be my sister’s contribution to Thanksgiving.A few years ago I decided it was the cake of
choice for my birthday.The name,
Chocolate “Flop”, originated with my uncle because he said it was so flat that
it looked like a recipe that had “flopped”.Don’t be put off by our affectionate name because this cake is the
farthest thing from a flop.
Oh and my daughter did an excellent job making it!! Think it
will be on her list of things to make.Enjoy!!!
1 cup chocolate chips, melted ⅔ cup butter, softened ¾ cup sugar 3 eggs, separated 1 tsp vanilla extract ½ tsp salt ¾ cup flour ¼ cup milk
Shiny Chocolate Glaze: 3 Tbsp butter 2 Tbsp light corn syrup 1 Tbsp water 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9” springform pan.
In a large mixer bowl beat sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in melted chocolate, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt. Gradually beat in flour and milk.
In small mixer bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Spread in prepared pan.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until baked. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely. Pour Shiny Chocolate Glaze over cake covering top and sides.
Shiny Chocolate Glaze In small saucepan combine butter, corn syrup, and water. Stirring constantly bring just to a boil over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Cool to room temperature.